If you are a Bichon Frise lover like me, you might be wondering about breeding Bichons. The first question I had when I thought about this topic was: what is the average Bichon Frise Litter Size? With that in mind, I set about doing some research to find out the answer to this question.
The average litter size of the Bichon Frise is between four and six puppies depending on the size of your Bichon. A bigger Bichon could have more puppies while a smaller Bichon could have as few as one puppy.
Now that we’ve been able to answer this great question, let’s look in more detail at the average litter size of Bichon Frise mix breeds. We’ll also answer some related questions about Bichon Frise pregnancies and potential birthing problems.
What Is The Average Cavachon Litter Size?
The adorable Cavachon is a Bichon Frise Cavalier King Charles Mix. These adorable canines make great family pets and are extremely affectionate.
The average litter size of the Cavachon is between two and six puppies. This can vary depending on the Cavachon itself but on average this is what can be expected from an average litter of Cavachons.
If you would like to learn more information about the Cavachon breed, check out this article I wrote:
What Is The Average Poochon Litter Size?
The Poochon is a Bichon Frise Poodle Mix. This mix breed is very intelligent, super playful, and can make a great addition to any family home.
The average litter size of a Poochon is between two and six pups. Bigger Poochons can have more puppies whereas smaller Poochons can have less, so this is about an average-sized litter.
To learn much more information about the Poochon breed, you can read this great article I wrote:
What Is The Average Maltichon Litter Size?
The cuddly Maltichon is a Bichon Frise Maltese Mix. Both the Bichon Frise & the Maltichon are descended from the Bichon type of dog which makes them especially adorable and sociable in nature.
The average litter size of a Maltichon is between 2 and 6 puppies. The size of the litter can vary between dogs but this is the average litter size you can expect from a Maltichon.
If you would like to learn more information about the Maltichon breed, I wrote a more in-depth article that you can read here:
How Long Are Bichon Frises Pregnant For?
Dog reproduction is an especially detailed area as I found in doing my research for this article. There is a lot to learn on this topic which is extremely interesting to know.
With that said, simply knowing the length of pregnancy is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to learning about Bichon Frise pregnancies.
Bichon Frises are pregnant for approximately 9 weeks before giving birth to a litter of new puppies. In days this can be between 56 to 72 days.
To learn more information about the different phases of a dog’s pregnancy, you can read this article from AKC.org: How Long Are Dogs Pregnant?
How Can You Tell If A Bichon Frise Is Pregnant?
If you are trying to determine if your Bichon Frise is pregnant, there are some symptoms you can look out for before you may decide to bring them to the vet.
It’s important to note here that you likely won’t see any symptoms for the first 3 weeks of their pregnancy so be mindful of that.
With that said, here are some symptoms to look out for in the first month or so of your Bichon’s pregnancy:
- Weight gain and an enlarged tummy – After the first 3 weeks or so of your dog’s pregnancy, you may start to see their tummy grow in size. This will also correspond with an increase in their weight
- Decreased activity – If your once active and energetic dog is now napping a lot more and has much less energy, it may be an indication that she is pregnant. This is more difficult to spot in less active dogs so you’ll need to pay close attention to your Bichon’s behavior.
- Changes in appetite – early in your Bichon’s pregnancy, you may find that your dog’s appetite severely decreases. Later on in the pregnancy your dog’s appetite may vastly increase. This all has to do with fluctuations in hormones as your dog goes through their pregnancy so is something you should monitor.
- Enlarged or swollen nipples – Pregnancy will cause your dog’s nipples to increase in size to prepare for feeding their puppies. Later on in the pregnancy, they will possibly also discharge milk.
With all of these symptoms, it’s important to note that just seeing one symptom is not a definite indication that your Bichon is pregnant.
As with anything related to your dog’s health, it’s important to make note of any unusual symptoms you see in your dog and to discuss them with your vet.
Your vet will be able to perform an ultrasound to determine if your Bichon is pregnant. They may even be able to determine this by simply feeling their tummy.
Bichon Frise Birthing Difficulties
The next question you might have is about potential birthing difficulties when your Bichon Frise is giving birth.
On average, Bichon Frises are generally pretty healthy dogs and do not usually present with birthing difficulties during the whelping (birthing) process.
Of course, this highly depends on the care and attention given to your Bichon throughout the entire pregnancy.
Regular checkups with the vet are essential to maintaining a healthy pregnancy and an optimal birthing process.
Make sure you do your homework and know what to do when your Bichon starts whelping.
Breeding Bichon Frises
Breeding Bichon Frises can be a full-time job in itself due to the care and attention needed for the mother and her pups.
Whether you intend to become a breeder or you would just like a single litter of dogs, getting into dog breeding isn’t a decision to be made lightly.
Whatever you decide, it’s important to be a responsible breeder and have the best interest of the dogs in mind.
If you would like to learn more about responsible breeding, the AKC has shared a comprehensive guide you can read here: AKC’s Guide to Responsible Dog Breeding
We were able to cover a lot of useful information in this article. Let’s summarize before we finish:
- Firstly, we answered the question: what is the average Bichon Frise litter size?
- Next, we looked at this question in more detail in relation to Bichon Frise mix breeds like the Cavachon, Poochon, and Maltichon
- After that, we discussed how long Bichon Frises are pregnant for
- Next, we looked at how you can tell if a Bichon Frise is pregnant
- Next, we looked at Bichon Frise birthing problems
- Finally, we talked about breeding Bichon Frises and doing so in a responsible way
I hope you found some value in reading this article. If you did, I would really appreciate you sharing this on social media. It will help other dog lovers like you to find it.
Finally, if you found this article interesting to read, I recommend you read these next: